Living with PCOS

What is PCOS?

PCOS stands for polycystic ovary syndrome and is a very common disorder among women. Basically, there is a range of what could happen including enlarged ovaries, acne, hair growth, unreliable periods and weight gain issues. If not taken care of, heart disease and type 2 diabetes is a high risk. Also, it can cause complications when it comes to getting pregnant and giving birth. In short, it sucks.

How did I get diagnosed? 

It was mentioned to me by my first gynecologist a few years ago but he dismissed it after my blood work said I didn't have it. I continued to struggle with acne, weight and off-the-wall menstrual cycles so I pressed the issue when I changed my gynecologist earlier this year. She ran some tests, listened to my complaints and put it all together. She said the blood work alone was proof enough that I have it, but coupled with my acne, weight struggles and random unwanted hair growth, it was obvious that I had it. I was relieved and yet frustrated at the same time. 

How do I live with it? 

I'm currently trying to regulate my hormones with birth control. This is month two of the test-trial of a new birth control. I eat relatively healthy and suck up the annoying parts like having to work out a bit extra to not feel like a whale (note: I'm not body shaming any person, it is how I feel). I will probably be placed on another medication to help block male hormones which are pretty much the reason I break out so much. I pretty much just live and will know more about what I might need to change when I go back to my doctor in a couple of weeks. 

Share:

6 comments

  1. This was really nice of you to share on here! I can totally relate, although I apparently don't have the cysts the hormone that causes it is there, I have acne and I'm super hairy haha. I always struggled in the past too because my testosterone is too high so I'm on Metformin to counteract the excess insulin it creates. Like you say you just kinda carry on and hope for the best! Good luck in your journey with it chicken

    Pandora xo
    http://curiouslilpandora.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm probably going to end up taking Metformin, as well. As much as I hate medication, if it helps me then I'll suck it up. Thank you so much for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sam! I have PCOS too. I was diagnosed four years ago, and it really sucked. I've tried several types of birth control, and so far my favorite has been the NuvaRing. I have been on the pill before, which was okay, I was just always forgetting to take it and it sometimes caused my period to be early because I would forget to take it. I liked the birth control patches for a while, but they started to leave chemical burns on my body, so I switched back pretty quickly. I've been on the NR for four months now and have not had a single issue with it. It also has hormones in it which is what I really needed. My biggest problem with PCOS is the cyst part of it. I've been to the hospital twice in one year because of them, both were pretty bad experiences. They're super painful and take a while for me to get back up after them. Anyway, thanks for sharing, Sam!
    Courtney
    simplybumblingalong.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and the patch was strictly told to me as a no-no by my doctors. I am don't know if I want something inside of me which is another issue in and of itself. I'm so glad you've found something that works for you. I'm pretty lucky in that nothing has caused me to enter the hospital yet. I just have all the other issues that aren't fun.

      Delete
  3. Such an interesting Blog. I never new about PCOS, well done for raising awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing- I have a few friends with this and it has been and continues to be frustrating for them. Reading more about it gives me more insight to the struggles and helps me understand it more! Thank you again.
    XX Jen beautylifemom.com

    ReplyDelete