As the news broke from several different respectable outlets that Muhammad Ali had passed, my heart stopped. The man I knew to be fighting his own health issues and continuing to support important social causes was no longer living? The man that was larger than life was no longer drawing breath? It hit me hard and it hit me fast. I think it's just something no one is prepared to hear, no matter how mighty, you can perish within an instant. 

For me, Muhammad Ali represented so many great things in a tangible history I grew up learning. He was a Black man that took home a gold metal at the Olympic Games for boxing. He was a lethal boxer who is written down in history as one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time. He was a social activist who fought along side the likes of Malcom X and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for desecration and equality to foster a better America. He was a loud voice for measuring a person by their own merits and not the color of their skin and very much involved in the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. He was awarded the Presidential Metal of Freedom in 2005 which is the highest honor a civilian can attain. 


There isn't enough time to go into how great and how much of a legend Muhammad Ali is. I refuse to say was because his glory will forever live on through his many accomplishments and all the he has given back. My hope is that people don't just remember him for his boxing accomplishments because he was so much more than just a great boxer, he was a fantastic human being.  


Quotes from The Greatest:

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat

I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.