The Realities of Getting a Job Post Graduation


Job hunting really sucks! There is no sugar-coating this, it sucks. It's miserable, it's exhausting, it's nerve-racking and it's long. Unless you're going to work for a family member, were offered a job before you graduated or are in a field where there isn't an over-saturation, job hunting is beyond stressful. I've been applying since November of 2015 and it is now May of 2016 but I still don't have a solid job offer. Isn't that insane?


Let me break it down for you. The job market is odd. There are loads of jobs, but the way companies have the jobs structured make graduates look under qualified because they require over two years of experience or two years of full-time experience for an ENTRY-LEVEL position. How on Earth do companies expect this? It's simple, companies don't want to invest in their employees. They want to pay someone with experience peanuts and pay those graduating college even less. It's frustrating but it's true.


I have over two years of experience in total between internships and full-time work and I'm told that is not enough as internships don't qualify as experience. I've been told this by a few companies and it honestly was shocking. Did I just hear what I think I heard? You're telling me that all the hours, hard work and stress from interning counts for nothing? Are you crazy?! The correct answer is yes. The companies are insane and not a place you or I should think to work at, ever.


Overall, the major cities have so much competition so you have to really do things to stand out. You have to have a great resume, have key words on your resume and even reach out to HR people if you can find their email/contact information. Companies may not post a job online to apply to but the HR person can actually see if you'd be qualified for jobs that technically haven't even been created yet which is a good thing. This puts you ahead of the game instead of falling into the blackhole of resumes that many fall into.


If you're only applying after you graduate, you're doing it wrong. You need to start applying to jobs/fellowships by at least four months before you actually graduate to hope to have a job or at least prospective jobs. Also, don't just apply to a few jobs, try nothing under 50. That number may sound intense but keep in mind that I've applied to over 250 jobs and still have nothing. It is better to have multiple offers than to have none.


Last, but most definitely not least, you need to remember your salary range. Depending upon the position you are seeking, the company you're seeking it with and the industry you seeking to be in, you won't be making much more than $33,000 at your first job which sucks. You can negotiate a bit higher depending upon what the average pay is for the area and that job coupled with your skills and knowledge. It is important to realize that where you start is not where you have to be in a year or two, either. If you can have a decent starting point to get some full-time experience under your belt, stay for six months before you start looking to jump ship. A person with a job is always more desirable than a person without a job.

Share:

4 comments

  1. This post speaks to me, I'll have been applying for jobs for over a year in june. It sucks, really sucks - I just want to start really being an adult and possibly have a career but at this rate I'll be at my minimum wage retail job till I retire. I'm awaiting several replies back but I know I should still be applying because they'll probably come back rejections.

    Good luck on the job hunt, you're not alone

    emma
    Not Copper Armour // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's so hard to find a job... I mean a nice one!;)


    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! And upsetting!
    I am graduating in about 6 months and I'm already super nervous about finding a job!
    Good luck, I hope you find a job that you really enjoy! x

    www.britishmilan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good post! I graduated in July, and although I went to Greece for summer and Lapland for winter between all I've been constantly applying for jobs. I have to travel about 9 hours altogether most weeks to get to a single interview and it's so disheartening when you don't get it! I've written so many posts aboutt his as I believe it's so important to remember to be positive! If you didn't get it there's a reason you didn't, and you don't want a job where there's a reason not to be there!

    Best of luck,
    Mel @ www.melberryy.com
    Found you through the #chattybees chat! xxx

    ReplyDelete