People always say stupid things about acne like how only teenagers have it and that's beyond wrong. At 24 years old, I still suffer with acne prone skin. You don't just "grow out of it" for most people. Hell, my mother who is in her 40s suffers from it still. I know that there are others out there that struggle with this pesky issue and so I decided to share what I found works and doesn't work for me.


What Works: 

The Philosophy Clear Days Ahead treatment kit - Philosophy has many different lines but this one is specific to acne prone skin so I tried it after my face freaked out from using Clinique's. There's a $39 trial kit if you don't want to invest money on something you aren't sure will work for you (I started with this). In the kit you will kind the face wash, moisturizer, spot cream and overnight cleansing pads. Within four days of using this system twice daily, once at night and once in the morning, I found my skin healing. I have been using it for over three weeks now and really find it to work well. It won't fix everything overnight but it definitely is useful in keeping my skin pretty clear and clearing up flair ups when they occur.

Clinique Acne Solutions Spot Healing Gel - If you want to clear up specific spots, I use this. It works great! It is on the pricey side but definitely worth it. I use this in turn with my Philosophy system and found it sped up the healing process.

Biore Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar - I have used this as a once a week type of deep cleaner on my face but use it mostly for my shoulders and back. I use to break out a lot on my back from hormones and sweat (working out) so I needed a way to combat that. This soap is cheap, long-lasting and strong. It cleared up my back within a couple of days and continues to keep it pretty clear. If you suffer from severe facial or body acne, this might be worth a shot.

What Didn't Work:

Dermalogica Clear Start Kit - Like Philosophy, Dermalogica has an acne starter kit. I tried and found this didn't necessarily hurt my skin but it also didn't clear it. While some may find it to be a great savior, I found it to be useless.

Clinique Acne Solutions Clear Skin System Starter Kit - Since I use the spot gel so much I figured the entire system would be awesome. I was so wrong it was not even funny. After about three days of usage my face became swollen, red and filled with an insane amount of pimples. My cheeks were literally covered which NEVER has happened in my life. I now have leftover acne scars on my cheeks from it. By far, this was the worst reaction I've ever had to anything.