Dry Hair | Get Hair Moisture Back

Dry hair plagues about one in every six women, hair damage is just as high and just as bad. As always, I take what you all ask me, and turn out a post on it. How can you solve your dry hair problem? What about solving the damaged hair problem? Use leave-in conditioners, organic products, and deep conditioners! Granted, the previous comment was the easy answer.


I'm going to list products and do it yourself remedies to help prevent further drying out and to give your hair back its moisture. Remember that hair repair is like shopping for the perfect pair of jeans, trial and error is part of the process. Much like no single jean fits everyone perfectly, no product or treatment will yield the same result for every person. I have tried each of these and they have yielded impressive, if not perfect, results. I never share something I have not tried or used.

Products

1. Macadamia Natural Oil: Deep Repair Masque (About $18) 

After shampooing, conditioning, and mild towel drying you can take a generous amount of this and spread it through your hair. I find it this to be best used late at night so you can allow it to seep into your hair without the addition of product, blow-drying, or styling. I would also say three to four times a week would be best to do this treatment if your hair is severally damaged and overly dry. If it is not, then only once or twice a week, with a few days in between usage. 

2. Organix's  Instant Recovery Masque with Awapuhi Ginger (About $7) 
The directions offer two suggestions on how to use this product. The first of which states to rinse the shampoo out and apply this, leave in for about five minutes, and then rinse out thoroughly. The second states to rinse out the shampoo and then apply this, leaving in for about twenty minutes with a shower cap on before rinsing. The second is for more severely damaged hair while the first is for just a bit dry hair with no real damage. Now, the question I had was what if you were somewhere in the middle? Since the bleaching of portions of my hair, it has become a bit brittle and dry. I decided to do my own somewhere in the middle process. I shampooed and rinsed followed by applying this and leaving it in for about ten minutes. The result was great. Remember, this is trial and error so see which one works for you! 

3. Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque with Sea Kelp & Argan Oil (About $9)
The directions read: "After shampooing, massage into wet hair and leave on for 5-45 minutes. Add a plastic cap and moderate heat for deep penetrations." The suggested use is weekly. What I have found the best results in involves leaving the treatment in my hair for about 20 minutes of my shower. I take about a half an hour shower so I shampoo as soon as I enter and then add this into my hair. Keep in mind my hair isn't damaged much but I do love the soft, silky feeling that comes from using deep conditioners. Depending upon what results you are looking for and how bad your hair is damaged, I would say leave it in for about 20 to 25 minutes twice a week. 

4. Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme (ranges from $9-$32)
This product is best used for styling and only a little bit is required. With having lose curls, I don't really see the need for a lot of this product or for a massive usage. I do have friends who love it and use it as a part of their daily routine since their curls are tight or on the kinkier side. Having said that, I have found the best result from using just about a quarter sized amount. After showering, washing and conditioning my hair, I comb my hair using a wet comb and apply this throughout my hair. It can leave your hair looking a bit greasy if you use too much, less is more. 

DIY Remedies 

1. Avocado and Honey (All Hair Types/Dry Hair)


Ingrediants: 
1 ripe avocado 
1 tablespoon of honey 

Mix together the flesh of one ripened avocado with one table spoon of honey, ensure the avocado is mashed to become more of a paste. After you create the avocado honey paste, apply it to hair and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing out. 

2. Banana, Avocado, and Coconut Milk (All Hair Types/Dry Hair)

Ingredients: 
1 ripe banana
1/2 ripe avocado 
3 tablespoons Coconut Milk 

Mash together the banana and avocado flesh. Then add coconut milk to create a paste before applying the concoction to hair. Allow for the paste to sit around 25 minutes (20-30 minutes) before rinsing out thoroughly. 

3. Lemon and Apple Cider Vinegar (For Oily Hair Types)

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 entire lemon peel grated 

Mix together the vinegar and grated lemon peels before applying concoction to hair. Allow the concoction to sit for about 15 minutes, wash out, and style as per usual. 

4. Coconut Oil (For Dry Hair) 
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil

Most times the coconut oil will come in a solid, pasty form so just warm it up in the microwave for about twenty seconds or so to get it to a liquid form. I've found that this is best to use overnight, as a kind of leave-in treatment, after shampooing your hair. You can sleep on it and rinse it out in the morning. 







Share:

0 comments